Okay, so maybe irritating people in Egypt would be bad...hence the reason for me leaving my Infidel shirt behind. But there are more places to go. So here's my addition to Kaitlynn's list--most of which are in Cairo. And since I got a digital camera for Christmas, I can now take pictures of all of these new and interesting places.
Cairo Opera House--The complex also houses the Museum of Egyptian Modern Art. If it's as silly as American modern art, I'm sure I'll have no shortage of things to make fun of.
Cairo Tower--From the top, most of the city is visible.
Greater Cairo Library--I bet a I spend a lot of time here...
Khan al-Khalili--I see many souvenirs being bought here.
al-Azhar Mosque--The center of Islamic learning-back when such a thing was popular.
The Citadel, Cairo--Built by Saladin in the 12th century.
The Mosque of Ibn Tulun--The minaret has an exposed spiral staircase.
The Hanging Church--Said to be the most beautiful of Cairo's churches.
The Church of St. Sergius--Oldest church in Old Cairo.
Convent of the Holy Virgin--Built into the cliffs where Copts believe Joseph, Mary, and Jesus reportedly hid from King Herod.
Hatshepsut's Temple--Girl Power!
St. Katherine's Monastery--Greek Orthodox monastery at the foot of Mt. Sinai.
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
There is also a really cool synagogue in Coptic Cairo which is totally worth it for the architecture.
Post a Comment