Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Best Year of my Life


A year ago today (give or take a few hours for the time change between Waco and Cairo), I was anxiously awaiting my first introduction to my "little sister." I had submitted my application to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas almost six months earlier and was told I had to wait until the perfect match was found. So I waited, and then I got a phone call from the BBBS office saying they thought they had found a good match for me. So on February 12, 2008 I met my second family for the first time. Kaitlynn's parents thought it would be a good idea for her to have a Big Sister because she'd been having a little trouble dealing with some of the stuff life was throwing at her. So this 14 year old girl who seemed so quiet and shy at first (ha!) and I embarked on what may be the most rewarding journey I have ever been on.

For those of you not familiar with Big Brothers Big Sisters, "bigs" are volunteers who want to make a difference in a child's life, and they are matched with "littles" who have similar interests and could use someone like a big in their lives. Kaitlynn and I are not just a good match. I think we may be the closest thing to a perfect match BBBS has ever come up with. Her parents have told me that I was just what Kaitlynn needed. Kaitlynn has told me that she thinks God picked me out just for her, and I think she may be right.

As an only child, I never got to hang out with an older sibling or talk to someone other than my parents about the stuff kids go through growing up. And that's what we do. We hang out, we talk, we cook, we eat, we go to concerts (those connections are pretty cool, aren't they kiddo?), and we're planning a trip to see the touring show of Wicked this summer in San Antonio. In the final major musical number of Wicked, the two main characters sing "Who can say if I've been changed for the better? I do believe that I've been changed for the better. But, because I knew you, I have been changed for good." I think the same can be said of Kaitlynn and I. We have changed each other for the better. I was never so proud as this summer when Kaitlynn told me that she wasn't sure if she wanted to go to college, but since she met me, now she's sure she does. It's a profoundly humbling thing to know that someone thinks so highly of you.

Kaitlynn--you are a treasure. You are smart and compassionate and goofy and silly and thoughtful and opinionated and unique, and you should cherish all of those things about yourself. The road hasn't been easy, but I promise you this--things will get better and I'll be there every step of the way. The past year has been more fun than I ever thought it could be, and I've learned a lot about you, but even more about myself. You have enriched my life in ways I can't even begin to explain, but always know that I love you and you will always be a part of my family. I miss you, kiddo.

*****

I know the rest of you were expecting an update on all things Cairo, but some things are more important. Stay tuned.

No comments: